Monday, March 14, 2011

New Invention: The Sushi Bun!


I have created the world's first Sushi in a Bun!   What madness led to this!?
spam, egg, cucumber, imitation crab sushi with eel sauce
Well, I've been practicing making red-bean paste buns, and had run out of red-bean paste with one more dough skin left to spare.  "What shall I fill this bun with?" i asked.  Having just consumed a sushi dinner (also made by yours truly) my friend cried out, "SUSHI!"  

Looking good & ready for steaming!

One of these buns doesn't look like the others!
ah! suspicion was correct!  yum!
Would i do it again?
probably not except for the surprise factor, which is hilarious. It would be better if it didn't have any rice, since it's repetitive with the bread of the bun. So just a seaweed wrap of the meat and veggies in a bun would be great.

A fricken' sweet cookie, literally.
While we're at it, reminds me of another food-in-food i saw posted recently Living in a Gamers Paradise from PAX East.  In this case, the cookie-in-cookie works because the crunchy texture of the oreo is different than the soft, chewy cookie around it, so it adds to the composition.  And inside the oreo is sweet cream.  My sushi-in-bun doesn't work as well because the rice texture is too similar to the bread.

Hmm i think this food-in-food idea will have to be explored further, can you think if any interesting combinations?   Comments welcome!
 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I vote for homemade mochi! mochi in my mouth! om nom nom nom. Dan is the best cook ever. That's why I love to eat at Chez Daniel, except when it's experimental chili night ;)

wiredchic said...

Hahaha I must say, I have never seen sushi in a bun before. That is truly unique. What if you top the sushi off with a dollop of WASABI in the bun? That would be an eye-opening experience muahahahaha. Fun new blog!!

wiredchic said...

I am not sure why my google ID account gave me the name "liz" but I guess my blogging pen name is liz now... you should be able to guess who this is. :) Maybe...

Monkey said...

oooh wasabi in the bun! great idea!

violachica286 said...

wasabi in the bun sounds like it'd be yummmm

also, i like jaime's idea of homemade mochi!

Tim said...

This food invention is made of win! May have to come back to CLE to sample it!